Monday 7 May 2018

Comeback post! Edits and minutiae to come.

I took a bit of a break from this blog while my Switch was warranty repaired. As I come back to Puyo Puyo Tetris, the first things I want to write are actually edits to existing posts.

I came back to a new set of people in the top 10, and in one of my first few games, played Mahoroa (マホロア), current world #1. He did this Ace against me: (Sequence: JSZ)



This works by doing a double S-spin to get the S into place, then doing a Z-spin to fit the Z. I hadn't thought of that before. I added it to the Ace post.

While practicing transitions, I came upon the asymmetry of the hook I-spin. Example:

    

On the left, we need to hook spin from the third state with B, so we do AAB.
On the right, we need to hook spin from the first state with A, so we do ABA.

Note that we need a two-high hook on the right, since otherwise we can't bellyflop spin into the first state. On the left side, a one-high hook suffices. It's kind of epic that you do exactly the opposite thing on the left side and the right side. I plan to edit a more filled-out step-by-step into the Spins post.

I also did a bunch of experimentation regarding the T-block Ace, particularly the 20 piece all-clear. I actually ended up really liking this opening because the midgame it transitions to feels very smooth. One thing I noticed on the T-block20 is that you can end up with the T in hand going into the fourth deck after the all clear. I'll have to think about what openings are good for taking advantage of this. My current thought is that one might be able to do a 10-piece Basic Ace with much higher frequency, since the T makes for numerous epic ways to all clear. And then, you end up with a T in your pieces next deck, for a quicker followup. I also have an inkling this might give a high-percentage Jail15, with a fallback to two quick T-spin triples if missed.

Most of my posts up until now have been in the realm of Epic Important Information In Overview or In Depth, but I think perhaps I'll take a hiatus from that and do a bit of more frequent posting of minutiae that isn't so important for winning lots of competitive matches. There's lots of very beautiful stuff in Tetris, and talking about it is fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment